Plant-based Burger Recipe
You'll want to save this burger recipe for your summer BBQs! Add your favourite fillings and it'll be a crowd hit!
2 small onions
10 brown or white mushrooms, sliced or diced
500 grams red beans (cooked or canned)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 cup rolled oats (If you want to make the recipe gluten free, you can use 1 cup cooked quinoa instead of using oats)
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
Salt and Pepper
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat, and add the chopped onion and diced mushrooms. Sauté and stir for at least seven minutes, until the onions are translucent and tender.
- Spoon the mixture from the frying pan into a bowl and add the red beans, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, nutritional yeast, oats, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
- Use a hand blender to combine the mixture.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into burger patties. *Recipe twist: make tiny patties for entree-style ‘burger bites’, for use in a ‘burger salad’.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan on medium heat, and fry on each side until crisp and golden. You can fry several at once.
- Place cooked patties onto sliced burger buns with fresh salad and sauces of your choice. *You can replace burger buns with cups of iceberg lettuce, as a gluten free option.
Serve and enjoy!