Chickpea “Tuna” Sandwich recipe
This soy-free, protein-packed sandwich provides the power you need to crush your fitness goals.
You’ll get a dose of all nine essential amino acids thanks to the chickpeas. And with the help of lemon, garlic powder and just a bit of cayenne, you can give your taste buds a workout, too.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 425 gram can chickpeas
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Crushed seaweed sheets to taste
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or hemp hearts
- ½ avocado
- Grain bread
- Leafy greens, to serve (I like rocket)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place them in a medium bowl and mash them with the back of a fork or potato masher.
- Add the lemon juice, vegan mayo, celery, onion, garlic powder, cayenne, crushed seaweed sheets, chia or hemp seeds, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve on bread with leafy greens, pickles and avocado
Recipe by Layla Luciano, vegan athlete and trainer