The global farming challenge
The treatment of farm animals is the world’s biggest animal welfare issue – and it’s getting bigger. By 2050, livestock production will be twice what it was in 2000. Right now, more than 70 billion animals are farmed for food each year – two-thirds in conditions that mean they can’t move freely or live naturally. We campaign for progress at every stage – from farming to transportation to slaughter. And we know change is possible – since 2009, our humane slaughter training has made life better for eight billion animals.
Animals in farming: our work
- We move governments and global bodies to improve regulations to protect animals.
- We influence debates that will shape the future of world farming.
- We partner with food businesses to change the way they work and protect animals.
- We work with farmers to demonstrate practical and affordable ways to protect animals.
- We encourage people to choose food produced in line with high welfare standards.